Saturday, March 14, 2009

Welcome to my first ever post on my new diet food blog!

I guess people start these review blogs with some sort of introduction, and stickler that I am for protocol, that is what I'll do.

I recently started seeing a nutritionist after years of crazy eating. One of the first things she said to me was that I needed to work on learning how to eat the "real thing." Meaning, the not low-fat, sugar free, no sodium, 0% trans fat thing. Now, I'll concede that her heart is in the right place. But I don't know if that will work. Because I love diet food.

There, I said it.

I've been on every diet ever. Really. I even did the Beyonce 'lemon water with cayenne pepper and maple syrup' diet (didn't take. Imagine that.) And from years of being on diets, I have embraced the diet food more than I ever embraced the 'healthy' lifestyle that they were supposed to instill in me. I am that person who would never dream of buying a box of Poptarts unless that were the kind that advertise '20% of your daily fiber needs!' I can't remember the last time I ate ice cream that did not claim to have '30% less fat than our regular blend!' (What the hell they blend together to make ice cream, I do not want to know.) I am the queen of diet soda and Slimfast and fiber powders.

However, I am constantly surrounded by people who hate diet food. It gives them a headache. They can taste the missing fat! Two such people are my dad and my best friend, so imagine how frustrating it is to try to explain to people with no concept of diet food how awesome it is that the pasta sauce we are eating has 10 grams of protein and zero trans fats!

So this blog is, I guess, for three kinds of people- people who eat diet food, people who don't, and me. Here I will review what I consider to be diet food (and if you don't consider it to be diet food, then start your own damn food blog.) I don't intend it to be advice on what you should eat, and I certainly think that if you don't care about how many calories are in your soda that you probably have a much healthier outlook than I. So take it as entertainment, because I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment